I. I. Applicable Laws and Policies
You agree not to use Blue Waters in violation of any applicable law. The use of Blue Waters is subject to all applicable laws, and to all applicable policies and regulations of the University. See especially the University's Web Privacy Notice at: http://www.vpaa.uillinois.edu/policies/web_privacy.cfm and the University's Policy on Appropriate Use of Computers and Network Systems at: http://www.cam.illinois.edu/viii/VIII-1.1.htm.
Applicable laws and regulations include, but are not limited to, export control laws and regulations and the regulations administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) with respect to sanctioned countries and regions. See http://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Pages/Programs.aspx. Unless otherwise indicated by OFAC, currently the following countries are the most severely sanctioned: Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria.
Regardless of Your citizenship or permanent residency, You agree not to access Blue Waters from any country identified above as the most severely sanctioned.
- You will access Blue Waters only as authorized pursuant to applicable anti-terrorist asset control laws, regulations, rules and Executive Orders, or pursuant to a "specific license" as described below (i.e., a license issued specifically for You by OFAC pursuant to OFAC regulations, as opposed to a "general license" or authorization, which is set forth in the OFAC regulations).
- If You are authorized to access Blue Waters pursuant to a visa-related general license or authorization, You will not access Blue Waters unless You possess a current, valid U.S. visa in an authorized visa category, and the scope of Your visa encompasses Your use of and/or access to high performance computers (as applicable), including research requiring the use of high performance computers. (Authorized visa categories for Iranian nationals are found in 31 C.F.R. § 560.505, at http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=&SID=ca55962c04d046ea18a0fecb5b60f822&r=PART&n=31y184.108.40.206.20. Authorized visa categories for Sudanese nationals are found in 31 C.F.R. §538.509 at: http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?c=ecfr&SID=ac7331b96b430e377b37a1f90d23d67d&rgn=div5&view=text&node=31:220.127.116.11.7&idno=31. Authorized visa types for Cuban nationals are found in 31 C.F.R. §515.571(a)(5) and Cuban nationals in a non-visitor status may be authorized pursuant to 31 C.F.R. §515.505(c), both at: http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieveECFR?gp=&SID=d255b44f1e87025fff20d5caac116355&r=PART&n=31y18.104.22.168.3#31:22.214.171.124.126.96.36.199. Cuban nationals in a non-visitor status may be authorized pursuant to 31 C.F.R. §515.505(c) at: http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=e53c9236c4fdf012d9ec68700cb7a631&rgn=div5&view=text&node=31:188.8.131.52.3&idno=31#31:184.108.40.206.220.127.116.11. )
Further, you will not access Blue Waters while You are located outside the U.S. You will not access Blue Waters during any period in which You are out of status.
- If You are required to obtain a specific license from OFAC, You will only access Blue Waters subject to the conditions of a valid specific license that You have obtained before accessing Blue Waters.
The University is committed to maximizing the availability of Blue Waters while protecting the security of users. To achieve this high level of security, user cooperation is required.
You agree to:
- not utilize Blue Waters for any criminal activity;
- not attempt to disable or circumvent any Blue Waters security controls:
- abide by all applicable intellectual property rights;
- protect access credentials and authentication devices;
- report lost or stolen Blue Waters credentials or authentication devices;
- not share access credentials and authentication devices;
- not intentionally interfere with system operation or other system users; and
- report any suspected security breaches or misuses of Blue Waters.
- Logged information, including information provided by the user during registration processes, shall be used for administrative, operational, accounting, research (subject to IRB approval as applicable) and security monitoring purposes only. This information may be disclosed to other organizations anywhere in the world for these purposes. Although efforts are made to maintain confidentiality, no guarantees are given.
- Unanonymized, personally identifying information may be externally shared only with law enforcement, legal or regulatory bodies and if officially requested by authenticated parties as well as pursuant to University policies.
- The University's National Center for Supercomputing Applications ("NCSA") may retain logs indefinitely. Note that full keystroke and command history logging is currently stored only for a short time. Policy regarding this special type of logging is described in the Blue Waters Security Monitoring Policy approved by the University of Illinois' Chief Information Security Officer.
Blue Waters is shared by many users and provides the standard file permission tools for users to protect their data from unauthorized access by other users and groups. It is the PI and his/her team's responsibility to set appropriate permissions or use any extra tools (e.g. encryption tools) to protect their data. It is possible to expose confidential data through misconfiguration of permissions by the user. Blue Waters does use many best practices to monitor and protect the system but proper data management is primarily the responsibility of the user.
The Principal Investigator is the project lead and is responsible for all data associated with the PI's project and for compliance with data management policies. All data associated with the project must be removed from the Blue Waters system within 90 days of the project's allocation being terminated or the announced decommissioning of the Blue Waters system. Data placed on the Blue Waters system for internal University purposes other than research are the responsibility of the University employee overseeing the work on behalf of the University.
IV. Disclaimer and Limitation of Liability
In no event will NCSA or the University or its trustees, officers, employees or agents be liable for any use by You of Blue Waters, or for any loss, claim, damage or liability that may arise in connection with Your access to or use of Blue Waters, unless imposed by law. Access to Blue Waters is provided to You on an "As Is" basis without any representations or warranties, whether express or implied. If you are dissatisfied with Blue Waters for any reason, Your sole and exclusive remedy is to discontinue accessing and using Blue Waters.
V. Authorized Use
You agree to use Blue Waters only for projects for which an active project account exists, or for other purposes specifically authorized by NCSA, and in accordance with the directions of the project's PI or the PI's delegate, or in accordance with the directions of NCSA as applicable.
Email communications sent to the email address associated with Your user account by the University, NCSA, and/or their agents is considered an official communication to You as the user of the account. Reading and responding, as appropriate, to these communications is an obligation of using Blue Waters.
Last Revised: Dec 22, 2015 Approved by the Office of the Chief Information Officer