The program is open to undergraduate students interested in participating in a year-long science or engineering internship. Students must be enrolled as undergraduates through Spring 2018 at a U.S. degree-granting institution. Beginning graduate students who have a research advisor are eligible to apply to attend the Petascale Institute and will have their expenses covered by the program; any stipend would be the responsibility of their own research advisor.
- Applications must be submitted by February 3, 2017
- Notifications will be made by
February 15, 2017- postponed until February 24, 2017 to allow time for reviews
- The two-week Petascale Institute will take place at the National Center for Supercomputing Applications at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign May 29 - June 9, 2017
- The research is expected to begin over the summer months with continued work during the school year
- Select interns will present their project and results at the Blue Waters Symposium in 2018
- A final paper must be submitted to the Journal of Computational Science Education by May 31, 2018
- Internships will conclude by May 31, 2018
In the application process, students can identify a faculty member as a mentor. Students who have taken the initiative to arrange an internship with a faculty mentor are more likely to be selected for this program than students who have not.